Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network application protocol used by devices (DHCP clients) to obtain configuration information for operation in an Internet Protocol network. This protocol reduces system administration workload, allowing devices to be added to the network with little or no manual intervention.
Dynamic addressing simplifies network administration because the software keeps track of IP addresses rather than requiring an administrator to manage the task. This means that a new computer can be added to a network without the hassle of manually assigning it a unique IP address. Many ISPs use dynamic IP addressing for dial-up users.
This tutorial will guide you through the steps needed to get your DHCP server installed and configured correctly.
Lets start the installation
Step 1: Installing DHCP service
1. Click Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.
2. Double-click on Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click on Add/Remove Windows Components.
4. Select “Networking Services” and click on Details.
6. Then after the installation wizard finish click on Finish button to exit the Windows Components wizard.
Step 2: Configuring DHCP
1. Open the DHCP Management console from Administrative tools.
2. Right click on server and click on New Scope…..
3. Click Next button on the first configuration wizard window.
4. You will be asked to enter the name and description of your scope.
Type the Name of the Scope and Description for the scope.
Scope: A scope is a collection of IP addresses for computers on a subnet that use DHCP.
5. The next window will ask you to define the range of addresses that the scope will distribute across the network and the subnet mask for the IP address. Enter the appropriate details and click next.
Address Pool: 172.16.1.11 to 172.16.1.35
Subnet : 255.255.255.255/16
6. Specify the IP address if you want to exclude form the scope and click Next.
7. It is now time to set the lease duration for how long a client can use an IP address assigned to it from this scope. Specify the Lease Duration and click Next.
8. Select the first option “Yes, I want to configure these options now” to specify other network settings and click Next.
9. Specify the Gateway in the first column and click on Add and click Next.
The client computers will then know which router to use.
10. Specify the DNS server IP address in the IP_address column and click on Add.
The DNS server IP address will be distributed by the DHCP server and given to the client.
11. Specify the WINS server IP Address.
12. The last step is to activate the scope – just press next when you see the window below. The DHCP server will not work unless you do this.
13. Click finish to complet the Scope creation.